Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Big Event

Tonight I will talk about the comic you've all been waiting for: Titans #15.

I kid, I kid. Not about what comic I'm going to talk about, but rather on its relative importance (though I do think it has some importance). Really, Blackest Night #1 was too big for me to talk about right away. I need to sleep on it, have some nightmares, and wake up screaming. I'll talk about it on Friday.

Now I'll talk about Titans #15. I don't subscribe to this book and I don't usually read it, but I'm a big Aquaman fan so I flipped through it to see if there was any Arthur Curry action.

I am actually pleasantly surprised. I think that making Tempest (a character I've never liked) the leader of Atlantis is brilliant. Not because I care about Atlantis or Tempest or any of those other idiots under the sea. No, it's a good idea because that means when Aquaman comes back (and he will) they won't have to make him the king of Atlantis again.

Because honestly, that's a really crappy thing to have him do. Aquaman isn't a king: he's a super-hero. He shouldn't be sitting on a crappy coral throne. He should be out travelling the sea righting wrongs on the back of a giant seahorse. He should also be front and center in the Justice League, of course.

Tempest as king of Atlantis makes that possible. Taking a character nobody wanted to use and putting him in a position nobody else wanted is a win/win for everyone. Especially fans of the real Aquaman.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I didn't like how the other Aquaman has just been unceremoniously written off. I understand that he wasn't the "real" Aquaman, but his main problem was how he and everyone in his book constantly reminded him of this.

I really liked his stories though, and I was upset when his book was cancelled. Now I find out that even though he did nothing wrong, people are still smack-talking him even after he's gone.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

God, I'd kill to have Arthur riding a giant sea-horse in all of his orange and green glory. Let that purple-eyed freak rule Atlantis!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Spectrum Bear said...

I don't have the comics in front of me right now, but some reference by Mera about Aquaman's mother taking young Orin back to his father's lighthouse suggested to me that we're in for a change to Aquaman's origin again, possibly going back to the SA version where he's the son of an Atlantean and a human. But it was all very unclear and, as with much of the DCU these days, I couldn't tell if it was a hint or just a mistake.

Despite the fact that I always thought the whole Garth/Dolphin relationship was a big trailor-trash mistake, I was kind of disgusted with the relatively offhanded way she and Garth's infant son were killed off. It's simply too big and horrible an event in a person's life to be treated this way; it should have dominated the issue and it should change Garth's life and outlook forever. (More to the point: since this probably wouldn't make for good stories, it shouldn't have been done at all.)

Aquanman's infant son was killed off (as was his older son). Donna Troy's ex-husband and young son were killed off. Catwoman's daughter wasn't killed off, but was sent off to live with strangers that Selina doesn't even know. I find this all a little too grim. And, in most cases, subsequent writers do not nake these events part of the characters' personalities; they just thank their lucky stars they don't have to deal with a little-kid character, and pretend they never existed.

If this is the approach that's going to be used, they should stop giving their characters kids.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Bravo!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home