Saturday, October 03, 2009

Re: DiDio on Outsiders

Good Lord, the way people on the Internet are reacting to this news you'd think DC had hired Satan to write a comic book starring Hitler.

I wish people would chill out a little bit. I get it. A lot of people really hate Dan DiDio. I don't get that but it is what it is. But you know what? It's not like he's seized control of Green Lantern or kicked Morrison off of Batman and Robin so he can write it himself. He's going to be writing Outsiders which is a book full of C-listers at best.

Sure, I'm kind of bummed that Tomasi and Pasarin aren't going to be sticking around. But they've probably got other stuff on deck. DiDio didn't have them removed so he could take over.

I think everybody who's having a hissy fit over Dan DiDio writing Outsiders really needs to get some perspective...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Ah, we were young and insane like that once too, you know.

Well, I was anyway.

What's Didio's track record as a writer like? I've generally not heard good things about his work on Superboy, but that was several years ago, so he could have improved (and there's always the possibility the people I was hearing this from couldn't distinguish their distaste for his editorial reign with their assessment of his writing).

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Honestly? I've never read anything Dan DiDio has done in comics. So I really can't say one way or another.

That said, I'm pretty sure he used to write for ReBoot. And that show was awesome. So who knows...

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Well, this is the guy who booted Morrison, Waid, Rucka, and Johns off of 52 with three issues to go and finished it the way he wanted...

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Did he? That's news to me. Where'd you hear that?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, he did do a pretty good job in Wednesday comics on the Metal Men...at least I liked it. So really, when you have Geo-force as a character, what CAN you do?

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I remember there was an interview with one of the 52 writers (Waid, I think) where he said Didio did not like what they were doing with 52, and even went so far as to proclaim that Countdown (which I guess Didio exerted more control over?) would be "52 Done right".

If I'm remembering that right, and it's accurate (I found it, the interview was on Ain't It Cool News, April 27 of this year www.aintitcool.com/node/40896), well, that might raise some questions about Didio's ability. Then again, I'd think writing a low-to-mid-tier book like Outsiders will be different from something like 52, which was a really big deal, considering all it had to explain, and established.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home