Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Who Will Save Metropolis?

Has the answer to that question ever really been in doubt? Who will save Metropolis? Who else?

The New Krypton Saga has been a long one. It's been building and building but here... Here we have the end of it. Has it been a satisfying story? That's hard to say. But I think everyone has been waiting for this confrontation. This will be the last battle between Superman and Zod for the foreseeable future.

Though the specifics may be in doubt, the ending of this story isn't. Because when it comes to the question of "who will save Metropolis?" the answer is almost always the same. Superman will save Metropolis. That's what he does.

Though there have been ups and downs, I've mostly enjoyed this story. I'm sure I'll have some new thoughts after next week's finale. But right now I'm just glad to see SUperman back where he belongs and doing what he does best.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Spectrum Rider said...

Is it terrible of me that I'm having trouble caring who saves Metropolis? Or even if it is saved?

Most of the citizens of Kandor (last surviving city of a destroyed planet) dead. Earth ravaged by Kryptonians. The British PM murdered! And on and on and on.

What makes Metropolis so important?


Even if Superman "saves" it, it's hard to think of him as WINNING, given everything else that's gone on.

I've had this problem concerning the escalation of destruction in the DCU. After Darkseid's Jusitifiers; After Amazons Attack; after the results of Cry For Justice; and now the Kryptonians attack on Earth - well, the planet is clearly looking at a planetary level of PTSD. How do they get up in the morning?

And, again, it's very hard to think of the heroes as winning when there has been so much loss. And, as much as I like drama and ambiguity, I do like to see my superheroes win, at least most of the time.

I think this is just a failure of narrative imagination. You don't really have to blow up a city or destroy a planet every three months to get my attention. In fact, it makes me kind of numb, and ultimately gets on my nerves. (The decision to start the new LSH series with the destruction of Titan seemed off to me - both too ugly, and the waste of a potentially interesting setting.) Can't we end a storyline without the death of hundreds of innocent civilians, a little more often?

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly!

When I got to the part in Brightest Day #2 and that mom murders her family in a bloodbath, I was like "Hmmm, another week, another massacre in the DCU."

Last week we had Ryan Choi slaughtered, teh week before that Black Manta cut his customers up into little pieces, etc...

Is there no creative talent at DC anymore?

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jon Gorga said...

There may be a little too much destruction and despair in superhero comics these days, but I am enjoying the writing imagination required to create the variety of it.

Many of the examples listed above this post sound like very different scenes to me. Butchering a group of people with a knife is different from blowing up a planet. Creatively/aesthetically speaking.

I hope that if Marvel, DC and the indies really start telling stories where 'heroes are heroes again' (as some of them claim to be now) we get an equally wide variety of hopeful stories.

Because I don't want to see heroes stopping bank robberies on a monthly basis. And as I remember it, that was a lot of 90s superhero comics.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jon Gorga said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home