Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ignorance

I find news such as this to be delightfully entertaining.

It appears that a series of DC fans -- currently amounting to a staggering 130 persons -- intend to stage a protest against the DC relaunch at the San Diego Comic-Con. They have the following to say:

"Are you utterly baffled, disappointed and just ANGRY to see how DC ruins your favorite character’s design and wipes decades of comic history out of the mainstream universe?"

Give me a moment to suppress raucous laughter. Then I will tell you that these people are complete and utter fools who have little to no understanding of DC's "decades of comic history."

The DC relaunch is by no means unprecedented. The history of the universe is tweaked regularly, like clockwork. It is true that some of these relaunches alter things to a greater degree than others -- see the first Crisis or Zero Hour -- but there are always changes being made.

I was front and center during Crisis on Infinite Earths and I can tell you that not a lot has actually changed. Batman's parents were still murdered, Krypton still exploded, and Hal Jordan remains an idiot of inconceivable proportions.

Keep in mind as well that the only true reboot in DC's history was astonishingly successful. I am speaking, of course, of the advent of the Silver Age which brought us -- among other things -- a new Flash, a new Green Lantern, and yours truly.

Perhaps the 130 do not realize this. It would not surprise me. Ignorance of history is common enough among the modern populace. Still, I am truly disappointed. I expect as much from the Marvel fans. But I had hoped for better from DC readers.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

You have such a...pithy way of explaining things, my dear dear Doctor.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

OMG, that is ... DELICIOUS! I really hope someone takes video of it.

You can't buy press like that; I hope DC sends them free subscriptions.

DIGITAL subscriptions.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Kandou Erik said...

Seeing my calm in the face of this continuity reboot, I find myself look back at my previous reactions to similar events. When you're a younger comic fan, you invariably have less understanding of how comics change over time -- leading to some less than dignified reactions to changes happening to our favorite characters. Even if you're a young comic fan who is well read on past comics -- actually being there for the change is simply different. There's uncertainty and fear of what comes next - because reading older comics, you probably know how it all turned out, for good or ill. If you're in the moment of a continuity-change, you simply don't know wether it's going to turn out good or not.

Then again, the reverse can be true as well. Older fans can also crystalize events, thinking comics where perfect this certain way, and any change is simply unacceptable. That's the reverse attitude, where you're not taking accessibility of new and younger fans into consideration.

I'm actually really excited about this reboot; even though it's sort of my first major one. I've of course seen smaller reboots - but I'm happy to see my reaction to this event isn't bad; it's means I've matured as a comic fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home