Saturday, April 15, 2006

Righteous Fury

In my downtime I like to watch television. I mostly enjoy legal and police dramas. I take great pleasure in seeing justice done. Some of my favorites are the various series of CSI programs. Though I am not so much a detective (that's Batman and Robin's arena), I do appreciate the hard work that is criminalistics.

Anyway, I was watching CSI: New York (my third favorite CSI, incidentally) earlier this week. The main feature of the episode was a man murdered while dressed in a bright red and yellow costume. You can understand why I might be immediately captivated.

It was eventually revealed that this brave man had been playing vigilante, using little but his wits and strength of arm to subdue the criminals and protect the innocent. Though he died in the line of duty (much like myself) he was nonetheless acclaimed a hero.

However, that is not what I am here to talk about. At one point early in the episode one of the lab techs asked a CSI: "What would make a man dress up in a costume and try to fight crime?" The CSI responded: "The naïve belief that one man can make a difference."

I was immediately filled with righteous fury. The naïve belief that one man can make a difference? Blasphemy! The entire industry of costumed heroics is built on the principle that one man -- or woman -- can make a difference. Would they dare to say that Superman does not make a difference? Or Wonder Woman?

Indeed, it goes even beyond these super-powered defenders. The police officer, the firefighter, the teacher; all work under the principle that one person can make a difference. And every day they do. They do it both in and out of costume, fighting to make the world a better and safer place for all.

The writers of CSI: New York should be ashamed.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Does "naive" mean "incorrect"?

Not necessarily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home