Wednesday, May 31, 2006

This Doesn't Stay on Topic

The new Batwoman doesn't work for me. It's not that she's a lesbian. That doesn't bother me.

Tangent: if DC really felt that they needed a lesbian character headlining a book why couldn't they have just decided that Cassandra Cain was gay? I mean, it's not like she's ever had any real relationships with boys. The only guys she ever hooked up with were Superboy (where's he now?) and that Central Asian terrorist. Oh, and that dude who never said more than two sentences near the end of her book. (curse you DC for ending Gabrych's run so early!)

Anyway, the closest thing to a romantic relationship Cass ever had was with Spoiler. I know, you say that they were just friends. But if you tilt your head just right you can see it. Pretty easily.

Anyway, it's obvious that I'm still incredibly pissed about Robin #150. If that doesn't turn out well then DC is going down like the Royal Flush Gang when the Joker's pissed. End tangent.

What was the topic of this again? Right, my not liking the idea of the new Batwoman. It's because she seems so designed to appeal to a certain segment of the population.

Let's see... She's a large-breasted readhead who will likely get naked with other attractive women. Who could they be targeting with that?

4 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

Actually, she sounds really appealing to me. Cass is a good character, but she doesn't really do much to lighten up the Gotham world. (I'm not however saying we should have to pick between them).

Supposedly the dose of brightness should come from Dick, but he's too damn mopey.

A crime-fighting socialite sounds like a fun idea. And as for the lesbian thing...

Well, would you really want her getting together with Bruce? Or even worse, Dick?

As a lesbian, she'll be able to avoid that particular cliche and develop more as a character herself instead of being relegated to "superhero girlfriend".

So I'm looking forward to her. :-) We need some more fun women in Gotham.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Oh, dear. I'm getting the sense that we're close to having only two kinds of people in our world; those who loved Cassie and those who love Kate.

We need to face it; it's too late for Cassie. We may not like it, but I didn't like what happened to Sasha Bordeaux either.

I agree with Kalinara. Lesbianism aside, I am very up for a socialite who moonlights as a crimefighter --

which is pretty much what most Golden Age superheroes were.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Hey, I'm going to give it a try. I give *everything* a try. And yes, seeing as it's too late for Cassie my anger will probably subside. Probably in time for me to enjoy the new Batwoman (assuming there's a decent creative team).

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute, skinny Asian Batgirl out, voluptuous, lesbian Caucasian Batwoman in. I call racism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home