Monday, May 01, 2006

Thoughts on Ion

Since the usual suspects haven't chimed in on the first issue of Ion: Guardian of the Universe, I thought I'd take a crack at it.

First off: wow! What an ostentatious title! I love it! Guardian of the Universe, huh? That's pretty impressive. Wonder what it means...

Anyway, my most immediate reaction to Ion #1 was a sense of confusion. But it was the good kind of confusion. The kind that intrigues you and leaves you wanting more. I think that's been a hallmark of the better OYL titles thusfar.
I want to know why Kyle has these weird powers. I want to know why the Guardians are doing whatever it is their doing. I have a lot of questions, and I'm willing to come back for the answers. Well done so far, Mr. Marz.

As for the art, I imagine that some people might be turned off by it. But I found it to have an interesting surreal quality (at least what I'd call surreal). To me it fits pretty well with the mystery of the title as it stands now.

Right, so my "analysis" wasn't anything you'd hear from those previously mentioned "usual suspects." But it's all you're going to get from me. I'm honestly not that much of a deep thinker when it comes to comics. I just know what I like. Not why I liked it. And I did like Ion.

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I was also confused. Still trying to determine whether it's good confused or not.

There are things in there that caught my interest, such as how long has it been since Kyle attacked those two Lanterns in space, one night, a year?

And bounty hunters are usually fun. I'll have to look through #2 before I actually buy it though.

And that "Guardian of the Universe" makes me think of He-Man and the "Masters of the Universe".

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger James Meeley said...

Calvin:

Or maybe it makes you think of "Voltron: Defender of the Universe!" ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home