Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Jonah Hex!

Why aren't you reading Jonah Hex?

I'm dead serious. If you're not reading Jonah Hex why aren't you reading Jonah Hex? Tell me, please. Because I really want to know. It's a consistently well-written book about a disfigured wild west bounty hunter who single-handedly brings his own sense of justice to the American frontier. What more do you want?

There's lots of kicking and punching and shooting and chopping. And even more one-liners. Good one-liners.

Jonah Hex isn't a perfect man by any stretch of the imagination (though he's a better man than he thinks he his). But he's not a 90's grim n' gritty anti-hero either.

Jonah Hex (along with the Kents, among others) really did hold the line during some of the darkest days in America's history. And you can experience his hardcore justice every month.

Why aren't you reading Jonah Hex?

4 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

Because I prefer to buy trades from DC and Marvel. That way I don't have a book on my pull list that suddenly turns to crap when they change creative teams or it gets sucked into some stupid-ass cross-over...

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Tom Foss said...

Because I bought the first six issues, and I got kind of tired of it. I mean, I like Jonah, and I like western comics, but without a supporting cast or rogues' gallery, the stories just started feeling homogenous. I might pick up the second trade, but I hear that the retconned origin is nothing spectacular.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

I loved the first seven issues, but the series seemed to lose some steam after Luke Ross left.

I picked up last months issue because of Bernet's great artwork, which in my mind greatly elevated the story's barely disguised rewrite of "The Outlaw Josie Wales."

Still, you're right. Jonah's a cool character and the lack of a rogue's gallery and sub-plots didn't hurt him (or Sgt. Rock, for that matter) in the old days.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Gosharootie, I loves me some Hex. While I am enjoying the current series thoroughly, I do admit to having practically ALL of the early Johahs...with the exception of when he went into the future, which I found to be utterly ridiculous. If you get the chance, pick up the two mini-series by Tim Trueman and Joe Landsdale...they are a HOOT!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home