Monday, July 02, 2007

More Monarch

Yeah, I'm back with another post about Monarch. But it's important. Plus, I got so caught up with the history of Monarch yesterday that I couldn't go into some of my theories about the character. So here goes...

I was reading a few of those weekly Countdown columns you see on websites like Newsarama earlier today. I found myself coming away unimpressed. They need to check their facts (Grayle Gardner? Puh-leeze). But the thing I noticed is that they all made the assumption that Monarch is a villain.

This isn't necessarily untrue, of course. Monarch may very well turn out to be a villain. He does act quite ominously, after all. But consider this: Monarch is a character assumed to be a villain who is sending his Forerunner through the Multiverse to collect people from various worlds to fight for him in a coming war.

In 1985 a character called the Monitor was widely assumed to be a villain. He sent his Harbinger through the Multiverse to collect people from various worlds to fight for him in a coming war.

So I think it's a mistake to assume that this Monarch is a villain just because the first one was. Just like it's a mistake to assume that the new Monitors are virtuous just because the original one was...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

This theory pleases me. Also, the last time that I saw Monarch, he was in "Ion", and he helped Kyle and a couple of kids get out of the bleed and back from the Tangent Universe. He and Kyle weren't fighting, and seemed to be getting along quite amicably.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm holding out hope for this theory. Captain Atom is a great hero and doesn't deserve to be turned into a second-rate villain.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Patrick C said...

I wasn't even aware people thought he was a villain. I'd be disappointed if they made Captain Atom a villain, doesn't seem to fit with what he was doing in Ion (as sallyp just said above).

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger John J. Wall said...

Somebody's going to have to fight Sinestro's army and it's not the Corp that's getting dope slapped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home