Sunday, October 14, 2007

For the Love of God, Spellcheck!

I'm usually the last person to get on editors for mistakes in comics. It's just not something that's in my nature. But I did see something in Booster Gold #3 that made me twitch. Something inexcusable:

Take a look at that gravestone. It says Lionel Luther Junior. Anyone who knows anything about DC Comics should immediately see the glaring, unconscionable error.

The name is Luthor. It's been Luthor since the beginning and it'll always be Luthor. Spelling it Luther isn't just inexcusably wrong -- It's potentially life-threatening.

See, certain types of people take the spellings of their names very seriously. I know I get a little annoyed when people spell my mysterious, unknown surname incorrectly. And I'm a pretty reasonable guy. Most people would agree that Lex Luthor is not.

So how do you think the most dangerous man alive is going to react when he finds out someone has misspelled his name? Chances are, he ain't gonna take it well.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Butterfly effect. That doctor dying changed the spelling of Luthor over time.

See, there's an excuse!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oops...you don't want to KNOW what happened to the poor guy who carved that tombstone.

I feel the same way whenever someone spells Kyle Rayner's last name as Raynor. Drives me nuts.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm usually the last person to get on editors for mistakes in comics. "

That last Martian Manhunter revival? I had to drop it after about four issues, over crap like this. It wasn't even characters' proper names, just piddly stupid stuff like "you're" where it should be "your" and "it's" where it should be "its"! I know it's infantile and anal and regressive and wrong but GOD DAMN IT!!! This shit NEVER happened back when Julius ... oh shit, I've just now blanked on how to spell "Schwartz." That was correct, wasn't it? Oh dear...

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked that one up yesterday, read it and didn't even notice. Good eye.

Time hole or not, that's just wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home