Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Real Fear

I don't know about you, but Green Lantern #44 scared the crap out of me.

Not in the most literal sense, of course. I didn't cower in fear at the sight of the book and run away screaming in the middle of reading it. No, it scared me in the sense that it was at its heart objectively frightening.

That's the thing about this whole Blackest Night event. Sinestro Corps War may have been about fear, but Blackest Night is the story that really has the potential to inspire fear.

The things going on here are just too terrible, too horrifying for anyone to honestly read it without admitting that it gives them that queasy fear feeling in the stomach. "Zombies" have been overdone. But the Black Lanterns aren't zombies. They are something far more sinister.

Are you afraid?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Will said...

It also ended with some heavy shit. Are you ready to see all of Xanshi come back to life?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

That will not be pretty. I can assure you of that.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'ved always liked J'onn, but I have to admit, that as a bad guy, he's quite terrifying, in that he really IS about as powerful as Superman! I loved how pissy he sounded when he pointed that out.

This is going to be good scary fun.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Jake said...

Yeah, Trial by Fire made it abundantly clear that the only reason J'onn isn't going to kill everyone this time around is he has to physically rip out their hearts for his ring to charge.

Hurray for plot-critical super-violence!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Yes, as soon as I saw Ralph say, "I smell a mystery", I knew this was going to be all kinds of unpleasant in exactly the ways zombie stories are NOT.

These characterless aren't mindless; just soulless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home