Monday, January 25, 2010

The Coming Dawn?

Yargh! I did it again. I keep meaning to not let every Friday through Sunday slip by without me doing a post. But sometimes these things happen. I've got good reasons but I won't go into those here and now.

Anyway, lots of comic book news has come out in the past few weeks. DC has been announcing things like nobody's business. Blackest Night is coming into the home stretch. And I'm still not sure what the DCU will look like once the dust settles.

They're calling it Brightest Day, of course. But things can't be too bright. If everything is great then there won't be any conflict. And you know as well as I that stories thrive on conflict. Comic book super-hero tales are no exception.

Take, for instance, Deathstroke's Titans. I don't know if it'll be any good. I probably won't buy it. But it will definitely kick off in-universe conflict -- and it will carry the Brightest Day banner.

Where are some other potential sources of conflict? Well, on the Green Lantern front I believe Geoff Johns has already hinted at conflict with the return of Evil Star. That should keep the "New Guardians" busy for a while. At least as long as Johns continues his tradition of turning also ran villains into powerhouses.

There will be conflict in the Superman universe as well. The New Krypton story may not be completely over by the time Brightest Day hits. And even if it is, there's always Lex Luthor. You can always count on Lex Luthor to create conflict.

Oh, and one of these days Bruce Wayne is going to return. And when he does you know the Joker will be following right behind.

So really, Brightest Day doesn't look too bright. And for that I'm very grateful...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely agree. But the New Krypton story will definitely not be over. DC's big event next summer is War of the Supermen.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Right, I forgot about that. I kind of wish it would end, but at least Superman is coming back to his own books next year...

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

This year, I mean. I need to remember that it's 2010 now...

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's about time. The New Krypton thing seems to have gone on for quite a while now. I really can't STAND most of the Kryptonians, who seem to ALL be jerks. I say miniatureize the lot of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home