Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's Been a Long Time

I know a question like this is old hat... But I figure I haven't brought this topic up in a while so now is as good a time as any.

What the heck happened to Cassandra Cain?

It's no secret that I love Cassandra. Her Batgirl comic was one of the first books that really got me into comics. It had its ups and downs but mostly that book was really good. I know I miss it.

But this isn't one of those posts where I rage and get angry at DC for all their screw-ups (and they are many) when it comes to Cassandra. I've moved past the the anger stage. I guess I'm sort of in the acceptance stage. Though not entirely, as I'm writing this post.

When One Year later hit everything about the character got shot to hell. Geoff Johns brought her back for his Titans East arc and tried to fix things. More or less. She seemed to have neat position in Outsiders (until they rebooted it again. Then she got that mini-series which really did fix things.

Then Batman died.

Now, it would certainly make sense that that was a crushing blow to Cassandra. No question there. If you've read her series you know that they had a very interesting sort of father/daughter relationship going on. And though throwing away her Batgirl outfit does contradict some of the things that she said in her comic, well... People rarely react the way they say they will when they lose someone important to them.

So I'm okay with her throwing away the cowl. But I want to know where she is and what she's doing. Because the character I grew to love over eighty plus issues isn't the kind of character who just walks away from the good fight. I know the powers that be at DC don't like the character. But I do. And I want to know where she is, if only for my own peace of mind...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And with this post you officially become my favorite comic blogger!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Thank ye kindly sir or madam. I only say what I believe. I really hope Cassie is okay out there somewhere...

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous david said...

She should clearly pop up in the ongoing Batgirl series. At the very least she could be used as a special guest star, confronting the new wearer of the mantle in some way.

It would be the perfect opportunity to at least give her the chance to explain where she's been and what she's feeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home