Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Smallville

I've taken some of this time during the holidays to catch up on my Smallville. The long running series about a young Clark Kent is a contentious issue among comic fans, I know. A lot of people haven't liked the modern spin on the story that plays fast and loose with "sacred" canon. And Lord knows I hate Lana too.

Still, I've always enjoyed the show. I've tried never to take it too seriously. That's a philosophy I've also tried to follow with my comics. Not always to the best results (as reading my archives can sometimes show).

Smallville is, like most television shows (and comics for that matter), concerned with entertainment. I think the reason why comics fans and Smallville fans sometimes don't see eye to is that Smallville the television show is marketed to a very different than Superman comics are. Which is why the short-lived Smallville tie-in comics were short-lived.

But that doesn't mean that Smallville is necessarily a bad thing. Like many Elseworlds and out of continuity tales it is simply a different interpretation of who Superman is -- and was. I have no doubt that the end result will be the same either way.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I bet some Smallville fans would read some comics. you just gotta find the right ones for them.
me, I love smallville. haven't seen any of the latest season tho. will wiat till the dvd is out then I'll have a looong weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home