Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Brightest Day #0

Well well well. Look what is upon us. It seems that it's Brightest Day. I don't have a lot of time tonight, so I'm just going to hit my main thoughts on each of the twelve "resurectees."

Aquaman: Aquaman, afraid of the water? I never thought I'd see the day. Aquaman does see a disturbing reflection in the water. I fear that the scars of Blackest Night are not so easily healed...

Professor Zoom: We already know part of Zoom's destiny. That said, I fear there may be more to it if this week's issue of Flash is any indication...

Captain Boomerang: Old Boomer is certainly getting back into the Rogue business. But I wonder whether the other Rogues will welcome him back...

Hawkman and Hawkgirl: What power do those old bones hold? And who has found them? I wouldn't be surprised if it's our old buddy Hath-Set, back again to kill the Hawks...

Maxwell Lord: Here's Max setting things up to erase his memory from, well, everybody. I'm curious to see why those old members of the JLI are unaffected. Perhaps it's by design...

Martian Manhunter: I'm happy to have J'onn back, and even happier to see a smile on his face. It's clear that J'onn would love to get his hands on the White Lantern. I wonder if he'll remain the last of his race for long...

Jade: Jade and Kyle aren't getting back together. That much is clear. They are going their separate ways and I think that's for the best. She always seemed to be in his shadow when they were a couple. Perhaps now she can shine her own light...

Ronnie Raymond: I hate Ronnie Raymond. This version of him is every guy I ever hated back in college. Jason, conversely, seems a lot more like me. I wonder if they'll be able to keep from killing each other...

Osiris: I think Deadman is right when he says "some men were better off dead." Maxwell Lord is tricky. The Reverse-Flash is deadly. But I think that of all those brought back Osiris has the potential to be the most dangerous of all...

Hawk: Hawk seems to be going to extremes. But then, that's what the character was created to do, isn't it? There doesn't seem to be much finesse there, but there has to be something else that what seems to be on the surface...

Deadman: Deadman is the keystone. He's at the center of whatever is going on here just like he was at the center of the miracle in Star City. Who is he tasked with helping to live? This is the question at the heart of Brightest Day...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Spectrum Rider said...

Something I liked about BD #0: Aquaman! What can I say? He was my favorite character when I was a little kid. I had a cut-out "A" on the belt of my bathing suit. (TMI?)

And I like the reference to his half-human/half-Atlantean heritage. No offense to Peter David, but I much prefer that origin - lonely lighthouse keeper and Atlantean princess - to the Chronicles of Atlantis, rape/incest? (I'm not remembering it entirely clearly), brothers destined to battle version. Sometimes simpler is best.

Somethig I didn't like about BD #0: The Carter & Shiera We're-Doomed Show. Although I liked the continuity implant of the Hawks having been reincarnated as various characters throughout time, I NEVER liked the "as soon as we loved, we died" part. It's an extremely bad extrapoloation from one of the only two data points we had. Carter and Shiera met in the 1930's, fell in love, battled Hath-Set, WON, got married, and lived a loving life together for many decades. They had a son. Admittedly, they went through a lot of super-soap-opera stuff that most characters tend to go through, but most of it had nothing to do with Hath-Set. And they're still together today! So the idea that, once they admit to loving each other, they're doomed, seems just plain silly to me.

I guess overall I like characters with history, with backstory, who are part of a legacy. But I'm not really big on the "cursed destiny" part. I like to see my heroes making decisions, not living as pawns.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger The Irredeemable Shag said...

I'm hoping they'll be able to keep Ronnie likable without making him a total frat jerk. I agree with you, I feel more in common with Jason in this issue.

If you like Firestorm, feel free to swing by FIRESTORM FAN - http://firestormfan.com - the source for DC Comics' Nuclear Man.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

-Poor Deadman does seem a tad nonplussed, doesn't he? And apparently, he's STILL invisible! I have to admit that I loved the bit with Hal, Guy, J'onn and the chocos.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Spec: I agree wholeheartedly about Aquaman. Peter David is great; his Supergirl run is one of my all time favorite comics.

That said, his Aquaman left me very cold. The long hair, the beard, the hook hand. People always calling him "Orin." It didn't feel right. I'm glad things are back to what I think of as "normal" for Aquaman.

Shag: Yeah, I think they're really playing up that aspect of Ronnie. He didn't seem that way during his brief appearance in the last Firestorm series. I think they're trying to play up the contrast between the characters for conflict...

Sally: I'm soooo glad J'onn is back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home