Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Green Lantern: The Movie

I saw Sherlock Holmes last week. It wasn't the first time; I saw the movie in the theater. After all, I'm a pretty big Sherlock Holmes fan. I've read all the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories as well as my fair share of Holmes tales written by other others.

But this isn't really about Sherlock Holmes. It's about the fact that I didn't connect the name Mark Strong (Lord Blackwood in Sherlock Holmes to Mark Strong (Sinestro in Green Lantern). That's mostly because I forgot the guy's name. I mean, "Mark Strong" isn't the most common of names.

Now, when I realized exactly who it was who was playing Sinestro my immediate thought was: He's perfect. I still think so. But what it really did was finally drive home to me that this movie is actually happening. So far it's been hard to wrap my mind around the fact that there is actually going to be a Green Lantern movie. This has driven it home for me in a very explicit way.

For some reason Green Lantern never seemed like a likely movie. I always knew it would be a good movie, but how often do actually good comics get made into movies? It's usually really bad comics (or rather, bad adaptations of comics) that get made into movies. And by that I mean the movies have nothing to do with the actual comics.

See Steel. Or Catwoman. Those are the two most egregious examples. But something seems to have happened in recent years: Hollywood is actually making comic book movies that are like the comics. Geoff Johns's new position as Chief Creative Officer is the most shining example of that philosophy.

Will Green Lantern be good? I don't really know. But I think the fact that it's being made at all is a serious win for super-hero fans...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I agree -- the fact that a studio is willing to pony up the dough for Green Lantern IS a good sign, especially considering just how many super-heroes are out there to begin with. Let's face it -- The grand majority of super-hero movies made throughout film history aren't exactly of Citizen Kane caliber, to put it mildly. But they ARE, at worst, good, goofy fun. I'll take that over no movie at all if I have to. :-)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, about Sherlock Holmes. I watched it recently, and though it wasn't REALLY Holmes, I was surprised by how much I liked it. FUN movie.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I've been wanting to see the Sherlock Holmes movie, but just haven't summoned up the moxie to go out and do it yet. Eventually. Probably.

But yes, I'm so thrilled that they're making a Green Lantern movie, that I could plotz.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still surprised that a GL is actually being made. I remember rumors and gossip going back years, so far back that at one time, Kevin Costner's name was mentioned in the running to play Hal Jordan.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

A very young Costner COULD have been Hal -- I remember him from Silverado and those other old films when no one yet knew who he was. THAT Costner could have been Hal. The Dances With Wolves Costner, though? NO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home