Monday, March 28, 2011

A Rising Tide

My spring break is over (though it never felt like spring) and I've got to get back into the swing of things. There were a great many comic related news events that took place over the past week. I think I'll take a look at them bit by bit over the course of this week to give me something to talk about.

The biggest story as far as I'm concerned? Geoff Johns on Aquaman.

I think Aquaman fans (among which I count myself) have been holding their breath ever since the beginning of Brightest Day. It's been clear that Geoff Johns likes Aquaman and wants to try to build something around the character. But did that mean he was going to actually write a new solo Aquaman series? Clearly the answer is yes.

This is undeniably A Very Good Thing. Aquaman has been the butt of jokes for a long time, and having a creator who was the architect behind the explosion in popularity of the Green Lantern franchise as a writer can only be positive for the character.

As far as I'm concerned the only real question is this: will Ivan Reis (who played a big role in the rise of Green Lantern as a franchise) continue on penciling Aquaman for the upcoming series? If he does, that would be doubly good for Aquaman.

All things considered, 2011-2012 is looking to be one of the best times to be an Aquaman fan since... Well... A long time. Here's hoping the King of the Seas finally gets some of the respect he deserves.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

If I can't have Ivan Reis on Green Lantern, then I'd surely be delighted to have him on Aquaman. And with Geoff Johns no less!

He's put together a pretty decent crew of supporting characters from Brightest Day as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home