Monday, August 01, 2011

The End of Aquaman

Let's try and get this thing going again, shall we?

Try not to be too surprised by the title of this post. I don't mean the end of Aquaman. I mean the end of "Aquaman." The end of the popular conception of him as a dork, a loser, and a joke. Because that's what I think is coming.

You've probably already seen the first few pages of Aquaman #1. Say what you will about Geoff Johns, but he does a pretty good job in those four pages of dispensing with a number of the popular misconceptions about Aquaman.

From the very beginning it's set up that people don't take Aquaman seriously -- the cops and the criminals both treat him as a joke. He's a guy who talks to fish! What can he possibly do in land?

And we get to see what he can do. We see Aquaman quickly and efficiently deal with the bad guys and show everyone that he's not someone to be trifled with. We're shown that Aquaman is a force to be reckoned with. And I assume we're off to the races.

We'll have to wait for the actual full comic to find out if Geoff Johns does as good of a job of rehabilitating Aquaman's reputation as he has with Hal Jordan's. Personally, I think things are looking good.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

There's nothing quite like Ivan Reis artwork. Pardon me, while I wipe up my drool.

Oh, this does look good.

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

Yeah this is long overdue. Should be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home