Monday, January 08, 2007

Identity Crisis

What has happened to me? How have I come to read such old Marvel comics as Deadpool and Taskmaster? How is it that I have come to enjoy them?

I don't know if I like this new me. He's mostly the same as the old me, but he's more confused about what's going on. I know the DCU like the back of my hand, but I've got no clue who "Garrison Kane" is.

I'm worried that I'm going to start branching out. That I'm going to try new things. Terrible things. I know that there are some things I won't touch... My inborn sense of decorum will make sure I steer clear of anything with an "X" or "Spider" in the title (also "Wolverine).

But what about the 3% or Marvel books that don't contain those words/letters? The new me might be willing to try them. And I really don't know how I feel about that.

4 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, Planet Hulk has been pretty darned good, and Nextwave is hilarious. Daredevil and Iron Fist are both good, but for heaven's sake stay away from anything that has to do with Civil War, because it blows chunks. Er...in my humble opinion of course.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

It always starts with the "entry drugs"... .

Then, before you realize, your baser self is seduced by Marvel's message: it's okay that you are a loser; it's okay to complain all the time; it's okay kill people without trial; it's okay to wallow in self-pity, no matter what advantages you may have.

Beware the entry drug.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

That's weird. I could have sworn that comment posted. Oh well, try again.

C'mon diamondrock! Read Marvel! All the other kids are doing it! C'mon!

If you're sticking to older comics, I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe take a look at the original New Warriors?

If you're going newer, Ed Brubaker and Brian K. Vaughn seem to be pretty safe bets.

Don't fear the part of you that enjoys Marvel, embrace it. That way you can keep a grip on it, maintain control.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

I'm with Calvin.

Much like the Internet, Marvel is a safe enough place if you tread carefully.

Maybe you'd like a hero by the name of Iron Fist ... It's co-written by the guy who used to do GCPD and Catwoman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home