Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm With Monarch

Big things are afoot in the DC Universe. I don't have to tell you that. And they are all laid out in Countdown to Final Crisis #26 -- the issue which I believe signals the beginning of the end. There are many, many important things that happen in that issue. But I'm only going to talk about one of them: Monarch's plans for the Multiverse.

In Countdown #26 (I'm not writing the whole name every time) the lead Monitor (which Earth is he from, anyway?) declares that Monarch plans to precipitate a Multiversewide war with the goal of collapsing the Multiverse back into one universe. That's some pretty heady stuff. It takes some serious stones to attempt something like that. And you know what? I hope he does it.

I've made no secret of my dislike of the Multiverse concept. I never liked the first one, and I've been ambivalent about the new one since its introduction. I've mostly managed to make my peace with its existence, but that doesn't mean I ever liked it.

And now I don't have to. Because there's someone out there who's trying to destroy it! Now don't get me wrong; I don't think the Multiverse will actually be destroyed. I don't think Monarch will win. And I'm not sure it would be a good thing if he did. But until this war is over, I'm with Monarch.

Let the Multiverse burn.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Heck, I don't know WHAT to think. I thought that Monarch was sort of a good guy, the former Captain Atom, but now he's a bad guy? But he was so nice to Kyle back in Ion, helping him out of the Bleed and all. Now all of a sudden, he's being a big jerk.

I'm just mainly confused.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I look forward to a year or two after FC ends when DC brings BACK the Multiverse in "Ultimate Final, Not So Much A Crisis, Think Of It As An Opportunity". Hopefully this all won't have MUCH affect on Blue Beetle, so I can keep reading the one book from them that I consistently enjoy...

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Sally: Well, if it's a choice between the dickish Monitors and Monarch, I'll take the latter any day...

Lurker: Blue Beetle *is* a consistently good comic book...

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Derek said...

You know, this is only what the Monitors think Monarch is up to. And since they're getting all their information from a Monitor that is clearly evil, I'm not sure how much we can trust his interpretation of events.

You want to hear my crackpot theory?

I read The Sandman series recently. One issue, "The Golden Boy", ends with Prez venturing across realities to fix up other Americas.

I think Monarch stumbled upon Prez while traveling the Bleed. Monarch, being a former soldier and more than a little bit crazy, has decided to unite the multiverse under Prez's shining leadership.

Prez, of course, is unaware of Monarch's plan or how he's going about it.

Well, I did say "crackpot".

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Derek, you are a genius!

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am all for the Monarch destroying the Multi-Verse. I was born when they published the original Crisis and consequently read my comics which were mostly set on one Earth. I have really been disappointed by the other Earths. They are boring. (To be fair I do like the Extremist Earth 8. Go go Ninties Justice!)
As for Prez, didn't he make a cameo in DKSA?

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, I like the multiverse concept. I think there have been some good elseworld stories told in them.

What I don't particularly care for is DC's execution of the concept. It would be far better DC wasn't so hell bent on crossing between universes all the freaking time. I mean, why exactly do we need Failure Superman from Kingdom Come on the main Earth again? Especially after we've just had Supermanboi Prime and Silver(gold?) age Superman show up in the last Crisis.

Its like DC is trying to say only our Superman is the real man of steel.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Will said...

Just letting you know I linked this post:

http://mostlyroses.blogspot.com/2007/12/mystery-in-cyberspace-or-if-you-like.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home