Monday, December 08, 2008

Secret Invasion

I did not read Secret Invasion.

That should come as no surprise to you. After all, my lack of interest in Marvel Comics is well documented. Still, I read the spoilers and got myself a look at the last few pages of Secret Invasion's final issue. And it confirms something that I have long believed true:

The Marvel Universe is full of idiots.

I've talked before about how the average populace of the Marvel U seems incapable of telling the difference between good guys and bad guys. They can't seem to understand that man dressed like flag is good while mand who throws pumpkins and drops girls off bridges is bad. I mean, they arrested the flag guy and put pumpkin guy in charge of super-heroes. How does that work?

I'm serious here: how does this stuff happen? Why is the average person (and the not so average judging by that president there) so completely dimwitted? How can they be so utterly clueless? I've said it before and I'll say it again: by and large, the people in the DCU don't have this problem. Sure, they elected Luthor president. But when he went crazy and tried to kill Superman on national television they kicked him out.

Now to be fair, the average person in the Marvel U may not know Norman Osborne spends a good portion of his time wearing a green mask and trying to kill Spider-Man. But I'd imagine that the president probably does. But he still puts the guy in charge of whatever passes for a super-hero organization in the Marvel U.

It's like they want things to go bad. They keep choosing progressively worse people to put in charge of things.

"Well, we put the fascist guy in charge and he mucked it up. Let's try putting the murderous supervillain in charge. After all, how could that possibly go wrong?"

Idiots.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

You do have to wonder a bit, don't you? I was pretty much finished with Marvel after the idiocy that was Civil War, and I haven't seen anything since then, that has changed my opinion. Which rather saddens me, since I USED to love Marvel.

On the other hand, perhaps the heroes will actually get together and fight VILLAINS now...for a change.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I'd argue with you but I actually HAVE read Secret Invasion (and the Frontlines for it). Or at least selected scans. And dead gods. Moron doesn't even begin to describe them. HE'S A DAMNED COP-KILLER! I have no supsension of disbelief for anything Osborn related...

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

>>The Marvel Universe is full of idiots.<<

DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!

Of course, the DCU is also full of idiots, but most of them KNOW they're idiots and actually EMBRACE their idiocy. ;-)

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

Marvel characters have difficulty distinguishing good guys from bad guys because Marvel writers have difficulty distinguishing good guys from bad guys.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Heartiac. said...

And apparently they are all devoted Springer-Style show fans. They're doing a mini just to explain Joe Quesada's statements that the average Marvel citizen thinks Galactus was a hoax.

So Marvel Citizens can believe in reports of Mutants who'll eat your children, shapeshift, time-travel, and have a geek like Reed Richards on the Tonight Show, but they can't accept an alien?

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scipio for the succinct win.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Soneca said...

You gotta keep in mind that the MU is supposed to be more grounded on reality than the "let's blindly trust these masked guys that decided THEY represent justice" DCU. And I don't think it's weird at all that the people that elected Bush (TWICE) would put Norman Osborn in charge. I mean, it's actually an improvement, as anyone who has read Thunderbolts lately can tell - Norman Osborn may be an evil son of a bitch, but he's also AWESOME.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

Hes. A. Cop. Killer. In no world would the POLICE, if no one else, sit by and let that slide.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home