Monday, June 22, 2009

Bold New Directioning

So James Robinson and Mark Bagley are taking over Justice League of America. Is anybody else breathing a sigh of relief?

First of all, I'm thankful that I won't have to look at Ed Benes' art any longer. Some people may like his work, but it's certainly not my cup of tea. And how nice will it be to have a JLA monthly with a monthly artist. Bagley's one of the guys we know will be able to pull it off.

Secondly I'm thankful for James Robinson. His return to comics after that hiatus he took is one of the best things to happen to DC. JLA has been a bit of a mess lately, but it's not entirely Dwayne McDuffie's fault. He's been dealt some bad cards and some annoying editorial fiats.

But he knew that was the way things work. There's no point in complaining if the bosses tell you who you can and can't have on your team. You just have to work with it. After all, look what Keith Giffen and crew managed to do years ago with JLA and a team of second stringers. People still talk about that.

And James Robinson is the kind of guy who can do almost anything with anything. Look at Starman. Gaze in wonder at what he's managed to do with the Guardian and Mon-El. You think he can't take a team of whoever and make them interesting.

I guarantee you there won't be any sitting around at tables looking at photos in the Robinson/Bagley Justice League...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Hooray! I miight start buying it.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Says the girl with the Ed Benes drawn avatar. ;-)

Still, I doubt it's been the Benes arr that's kept you away. And that last Supergirl story was really good...

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Maybe we'll actually start seeing ACTION in the series now.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Will said...

I really don't blame Dwayne for how bad Justice League has been. Brad Meltzer ought to be dragged through the streets like Mussolini.

I hope the Milestone characters will keep popping up. I like them a lot. Especially Icon.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, this is certainly some good news. Poor McDuffie did have a few good issues here and there, ususally WITHOUT Benes on the art, but I have to admit to being a huge Starman fan, so I'm quite pleased.

I wonder who is going to be on the team NOW?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

LOL! My avatar is done by Ed Benes? I did not know that! So ignorant! I must have been misled by the fact it's not an ass shot ;)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

His style has changed a lot since he got his U. S. start on Supergirl. His last five issues are the only ones of the series I actually own. It was one of the books that pulled me into comics...

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

"I guarantee you there won't be any sitting around at tables looking at photos in the Robinson/Bagley Justice League..."

HEAR, HEAR!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home