Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Scenes

What sorts of things in comics make you leap out of your chair and cheer aloud?

We've all got things we just love to see in the comics. Scenes that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end and make you feel like you're staring through a magic window into a miraculous world.

For me it's a classic sort of Superman scene. We've seen it many, many times but I never get tired of seeing it. I imagine we'll be seeing a similar scene very soon in Superman: Secret Origin and I'm excited to see how Geoff Johns plays it.

Here's how it goes: something is happening. It's bad. It could be a crashing space plane or a meteor from space or robot bent on destruction. There is nothing that can stop it. It's absolutely impossible that whoever is caught in this predicament (though it's usually Lois Lane) can escape. They are dead. There's no way around it. They can't survive.

But then the plane stops falling. Or the meteor is diverted. And the people in the crowd (becuse there is always a crowd) look to the sky. It's a bird, they may say. Or maybe a plane. But in the end they find that it's a flying man. A man who can do the impossible. It's Superman.

What common, oft repeated scene takes your breath away?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Kello said...

I think a lot of comics nowadays try to have those "big reveal" moments, such as a gaggle of heroes ambushing someone (see Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime, or 52#50) or the quieter character moments (Pa Kent's death and funeral.) After reading Green Lantern for a while these scenes become almost commonplace, which seems sad to me, because it feels like creators are going to run out of ways to top themselves.

BUT, in the spirit of the question, I would have to say any moment where a villain is gloating over a supposed victory, and really hamming it up, and all of a sudden they hear a noise and turn and someone's waiting to totally jacks them up. I'd like to cite a more specific example, but I can't think of one at the moment. Deserved "Come-upins" is how I would describe it best.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I know exactly what you mean, Kello. And that's a really good one.

(Though I think Doctor Polaris would probably disagree, as I know it's happened to him more than a few times.)

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I'm still a total sucker for the "Batman is down but NOT OUT" comeback scene. Those used to happen in Batman comics fairly regularly.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I blush to admit this, but I always get a kick out of the Green Lantern recharging their rings. I don't even know why, I just do. AND reciting the oath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home