Monday, February 01, 2010

The End of New Krypton

World of New Krypton ends this week, and I for one am glad. That maxi-series ending means that in a few months Superman will be back where he belongs.

That said, it has been an interesting tale they've told over the past year. Indeed, for the greater story that DC is trying to tell (I'll leave you to decide whether or not it's one worth telling) World of New Krypton was probably necessary. Without Superman in the midst of those other Kryptonians we would never have been able to see exactly why Superman is so special.

The entire point of the story (besides giving us a glimpse at the technological marvels and alien flora/fauna of Krypton) has been to show why Superman is one of a kind. If nothing else, the story has managed that. We see a host of Kryptonians who think that their powers make them, well, powerful.

But even with the raw physical power to move planets they lack the real power that Superman has always had. This story may have tried to take that away (with the "World Against Superman" malarkey) but that is not something so easily destroyed. For the people of Earth Superman is someone special. And even twelve months away from the planet can't change that.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Patrick C said...

I'm with you. I mostly enjoyed the ride, but I am more than ready for it to be over. I've actually really enjoyed the Guardian/Mon-El story in Superman - but I just can't bring myself to care about Nightwing/Flamebird in Action. At this point I'm only buying Action for the Captain Atom backup.

I still don't get Chris. How is he not mentally still a child? The whole relationship with Thara - especially since it seemed she fell in love with him when he was still a child.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Kandou Erik said...

I really loved this time Superman has been away from Earth. It allowed Metropolis to become as good a city as Gotham is for Batman. Plus Superman always works best as an ideal for other heroes - and these five (Nightwing, Flamebird, Mon-El, Guardian, and Supergirl) have really lived up to his level of heroisim.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I am in agreement with both yof you. I've really enjoyed the Guardian/Mon-El stuff that James Robinson has been doing. I also think he's done a great job of establishing Metropolis as a real city in the DCU the same way he did with Opal City.

By the same token, I"m also only really enjoying the Captain Atom back-ups in Action. The Nightwing/Flamebird stuff has been pretty forgettable -- even if I do like how Superman inspired them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home