Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blue Jay 1971 - 2009

Forever in our hearts.

Okay, enough of that. Now if I may be serious for a moment:
this whole thing is starting to get ridiculous.

Now, I've said before that I have no problem with characters dying. And that hasn't changed at all. But there must be a better way to kick off a new story than simply killing off another also-ran.

I guess what I'm saying is this: I wouldn't have a problem with killing off character left and right if it hadn't been done anymore. It doesn't seem to shock anymore; now it's just lazy writing.

That said... I enjoyed most of the rest of this issue pretty well. And though the death makes me go "meh" the mystery really entices me. I love a good mystery and that's what Robinson and Bagley seem intent on whipping up for at least the first couple of issues of their run.

Who is the mysterious murder? Why did he take Despero? What is his connection to the Justice League?

And where did he get those awesome shoes?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jake said...

And how did Despero get his head back on, after critically failing in his stare-off against Starro?

I agree that killing off also-rans is more than a little annoying. I don't know much about Bluejay, but I liked the appearances of him I'd seen, and just killing him for the fun of it seems like it's insulting everyone who liked him.

On the plus side, given that this story conclusively takes place during Blackest Night, maybe we'll see Black Lantern Bluejay!

 
At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Spectrum Rider said...

So here's something funny: for some reason I have a memory of Blue Jay being gay. I don't think it's ever been verified in the comics, and I can't recall why so many people think it's the case. But I'm sure I'm not just making it up - am I?

I'm only mentioning this because the Tasmanian Devil was just killed off, another minor character dead to illustrate how bad-ass the villain and how serious the story are. And he, of course, was gay.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Kandou Erik said...

It seems like we've seen this kind of death before, right.

I did a post about that guy dying, and how he was like many other dead heroes before him.

http://kandouerik.blogspot.com/2009/10/heroes-dying-sounding-call-of-crisis.html

While it might indeed be getting stale to just kill off D-Character willy-nilly, this is probably the most attention Blue Jay has ever recieved - or ever would. Most characters are more popular after they die, right? This could be the best thing to ever happen to Blue Jay, right along with Black Goliath and Blue Beetle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home