Saturday, October 17, 2009

January Solicits, Part 1

What manner of madness is this? A post on Saturday? Well, I've found myself with some unexpected free time here betwixt this thing and that thing. So I figured I'd throw one up. I can't always take the weekend off, now can I?

A few of the January solicitations
are up already.Seeing as they are there I don't see any good reason why I should wait for Monday and the full solicits before I start talking about them.
BATMAN #695
Written by Tony Daniel
Art by Tony Daniel & Sandu Florea
Cover by Tony Daniel

The unthinkable happens when Batman and the Penguin join forces to thwart the mass murder and mayhem of their common foe, the Black Mask. Plus, Batman confronts an adversary from days past who has a score to settle with The Dark Knight.
On sale January 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
"An adversary from days past"? Looking at that cover I can only assume that this is a reimagining of... The Reaper! (Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that the Reaper was the inspiration for the Phantasm in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm but I don't have any concrete evidence to back it up. Still, it would make sense, no?)
JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE #6
Written by James Robinson
Art and cover by Mauro Cascioli

After a shocking loss, Prometheus reveals an even greater threat to the team than they thought possible! How will this new crisis change the face of the DC Universe? Find out in the penultimate chapter of this groundbreaking miniseries event!
On sale January 27 • 6 of 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Wait, he's throwing CDs? Seriously? C'mon Prometheus. This is the 21st century. It's all digital. But I guess you can't whack guys in the face with an iPod...
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #41
Written by James Robinson
Art and covers by Mark Bagley & Rob Hunter

Be here for the start of a new Justice League era! The JLA have been getting a pounding in the last couple of months, but NO MORE! The team regroups with a new roster that will transcend time and space! Make way for the World’s Greatest Heroes – Batman, Green Lantern, the Atom, Green Arrow, Donna Troy, the Guardian, Cyborg, Mon-El, Starfire, Dr. Light and, yes, Congorilla!

This issue features two covers by Mark Bagley which are seperately orderable. Cover A features Green Lantern and Green Arrow; Cover B features Batman and Mon-El. The cover images will be revealed online before the issue’s Final Order Cutoff date.
On sale January 20 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Despite what we've been getting from Cry For Justice I'm actually really excited about this. Even though it doesn't make any sense, I actually blame the art for a lot of the problem with Cry for Justice.

Really, though, I'm just excited to see the Guardian and Mon-El in the frickin' Justice League. I love what Robinson has done with them, and I'm really excited to see what he'll do with them and all the rest of the team.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Tom Foss said...

I did a quick Google on the Phantasm/Reaper connection, because I've always heard that the one was based on the other (and that the story of MotP was based on Year Two to a degree), but while I found a lot of references to it (on the DCAU Wiki for instance), I couldn't find a primary source.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any primary sources either. It would make sense, but that's no solid evidence that that Mask of the Phantasm really was based on Year Two. It could just be a coincidence (though I think that unlikely).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home