Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Progress of a Sort

Well, the introductory annuals are finished. Next week the new Azrael series starts.

I've said a lot of things about it -- mostly things that haven't been particularly complimentary. Know that I regret some of those things. And I want to make one thing clear going forward: I don't have a problem with the fact that the new Azrael is black.

In fact, I think it's probably a good thing. After all, when they introduced me I was just another blond-haired blue-eyed replacement hero. Saint Dumas knows most replacement heroes have fit that mold on at least one count. Kyle Rayner has black hair and blue eyes. Not like we needed any more of those when you consider that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman fit the bill.

So it's good that we're seeing more diversity among replacement heroes. I can tell you that the DCU is not a lily-white place. I've beaten up white guys, black guys, Asian guys, Hispanic guys, really short guys, and guys in drag. If henching is equal opportunity then heroing should be too. My successor is a step in the right direction.

But then they did replace Cassandra Cain with blonde-haired, blue-eyed Stephanine Brown. One step forward, two steps back...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home