Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Re: Mera

Okay, I'm going to ask for some help here. I don't ask for help often, but I'm not usually at a loss as to how to interpret something in my comics for the week.

Anyway, this plea for aid goes out to everyone who read Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #3. Most of it was straightforward and I rarely come away from a Greg Rucka comic feeling anything but satisfied. But right now I'm kind of confused. So here's the question: what exactly is Mera's terrible secret that she's been bottling up or whatever it is?

It seems like a big deal is made out of something that Mera has kept secret for a long time. Something she didn't tell "him." I'm assuming that "he" is Aquaman, but who knows? The comic isn't very clear. What is it that she kept a secret? That she loved Aquaman? She married him so I thought that was self evident. That she hated him? Maybe it's that. Really, I don't know what the big reveal is supposed to be.

Maybe I'm being dense here, but I could really use an assist. Use your superior powers of observation to aid me, loyal readers!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

I didn't buy the issue, but I did flip through it in the store and read that scene. I was just as baffled as you and flipped back a few times. The only thing I could think of is how much she loved Aquaman. Currently I think are divorced (before he died I mean), so they were estranged. But yeah, doesn't seem like THAT would be the shocking reveal.

Maybe she was just jealous that Wonder Woman got so close to Batman?

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Spectrum Rider said...

You were certainly right about Diana and Bruce there; I misread the art. Diana wearing Superman's cape nearby threw me off.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I'm guess I'm going to continue being baffled as well. Maybe we'll learn more later.

And I don't think that's Superman's cape; Wonder Woman has been known to wear a cape on occasion...

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Well, aside from the fact that Mera should think her former hubby is a total @#*$& for half the stuff he put her through while they were married, I think the clue is in Green Lantern #50 -- when Red Lantern Mera yells, "I never wanted children!"

If a woman doesn't want kids, but has one, anyway -- and then that kid is killed by a villain ... My god, what a lot of guilt and baggage to be carrying around. In the face of all that, what woman would WANT to admit that she never wanted kids? Fairly or unfairly, she'd automatically be labeled a monster.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm with you, Diamondrock...I couldn't make out what the big secret was either. However, Sea's explanation is the best one that I've come across, so I'll go with that.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I was baffled, too. I hadn't read GL 50 yet, but Mera not wanted kids is something new to me. Anyway, I think it could've been clearer.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Michael May said...

I've read neither the Blackest Night Wonder Woman issue nor the appropriate Aquaman stories, so I'm pulling this out of my butt, but is it possible that Mera was somehow responsible for her son's death? Or maybe that he's still alive, but she let Aquaman THINK he was dead so that she wouldn't have to raise him anymore?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home